Monday, September 17, 2012

5 easy things to make yourself!

A search for an organic hair detangler for Miss B lead me to some great info and recipes to make household items yourself, so here are the recipes for 5 things that I have made.

Doctor Oz's Clean and Healthy Produce Spray
 
 
Doctor Oz says if you can't afford or get organic produce, using this spray is the next best thing. I did all of the produce in our fridge today so I don't have to do it every time I need something but you could just spray as you need. I did specifically buy aluminimum free baking soda from my health food store for these recipes.

[Click to go to Doctor Oz's Produce Spray]
 
Homemade Hair Detangler
 
This is so simple. Just a squirt of organic paraben free hair conditioner in a spray bottle topped with water (I used rain water). Shake and use.
 
 
Homemade Foaming Handwash
 
Foaming soap is all the rage at the moment but it is near impossible to find one that does not contain SLS and other nasty chemicals. This is the solution. I bought eco-store handwash and can now make my own foaming handwash solution to put in the empty store bought bottles.
 
 
Room Spray
 
Again, trying to be as natural as possible, this toilet/room spray is great! Water, vinegar and your favourite essential oil. Easy!
 
[Click to go to Peppermint Room Spray]
 
Homemade Deoderant
 
I was horrified to read a facebook post last week that said 99% of breast cancer tissue contained parabens- the very ingredients used in body products and deoderant. I had been using what I thought was an aluminium free crystal deoderant but learnt that it is a derivative of alumimium so needed a good solution for a deoderant. I searched a while and came across this one that I had the ingredients for. And after using for a day, I can tell you I am impressed! I did use the aluminium free baking soda for this recipe too.
 
Homemade Deodorant Recipe
 
 [click to go to Deoderant Recipe]
 
Coconut Oil, Arrowroot Flour, Baking Soda (our Bi-carb Soda) and your choice of essential oils. It blends into a paste that you can put into an old deoderant stick or into a jar to rub on as needed. At first I was a bit unsure about having to rub it on, but being coconut oil based it is like rubbing a cream into the skin. Plus it is so good you can rub it into your hands too.
 
I think these ideas get a tick for being frugal (mostly...) and a tick for being chemical free!

2 comments:

  1. Shelley, what a great post! I am going to try some of these ideas :) thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!
    I actually use a recipe similar to the room-spray as Julia's detangler. When it dries you can't smell the vinegar, only the pretty essential oils.
    I've been using only bicarb and vinegar to wash my hair for the last 5 1/2 mths and am amazed with the results - no longer need 5 different products to get rid of frizz - my natural oils do that but with out looking gross (well most of the time!!) Just have to brush it a bit more often than I used to (which was hardly ever).

    ReplyDelete